Saturday, April 2, 2011

ONE DAY WITHOUT SHOES APRIL 5, 2011

This Tuesday, April 5 is TOMS Shoes project One Day Without Shoes. Some of you know that I like shoes. I frequently go barefoot around the house but like a comfortable pair of shoes when I'm outside. Therefore, when I heard about this project, I was doubtful that I could do this. After all, what would Dr. Gold think if I showed up for my annual examination shoeless. He is the one who did my knee replacement in 2006. On the other hand,  of the 23 countries this project is being done in, my sponsored children live in 16 of these countries. I know how important shoes are to these children They prevent infections and protect the children from cuts and sores. Those of us who have stepped shoeless on hot sand or cement know how painful that can be. One of the things Reyna of Honduras needed in order to continue her education was a pair of shoes. Today, I received a photo of her holding her new shoes and a note saying she was back in school as of  Valentine's Day. SO, how can I who took the name Claire as a confirmation name in my late fifties, mainly because it went well with Marie, ignore the legacy of St. Clare who went without shoes as she helped the poor?  So, I will try in honor of St. Clare and
Norma of Guatemala    Dixy of El Salvador    Geyling of Nicaragua      Charlando of Haiti     Reyna of Honduras     Jhon of Peru       Djenebou of Mali      Amsa of Niger      Nora of Uganda     Vincent of Burundi      Golden of Zambia    Ntefeleng of Lesotho      Addissu  of Ethiopia     Grace of Malawi   Artashes of Armenia   AND    Kanha and Samphors of Cambodia  to go without shoes Tuesday. If Dr. Gold or others on my way to his office are puzzled, I'll just hand them a copy of this to read.   

No comments:

Post a Comment