Thursday, March 31, 2011

Consequences

Today, I e-mailed the White House about the issue of arming rebels in Libya. I know that NATO doesn't interpret the UN resolution for a no fly zone to include arming rebels. When the US earlier in our history supplied arms to Afghan rebels, we know that these arms eventually got into the hands of groups we are now having to deal with as adversaries. Since we do not know enough about the factions within the rebel cause, I feel it is best to not escalate into arming the rebels.
Sometimes what seems appropriate at the moment can haunt our conscience and possibly destroy lives. I gave, as an example, my KIVA microloan to a group in Liberia. The money had already been lent to this group to buy hardware. Further reading revealed that this hardware included knives and machetes. Granted the items could be useful in farming, building, and gathering firewood; but they could also be used to kill people. So, I worry how they will be used but this is out of my control. Therefore, I hope the President will carefully weigh the consequences involved before arming rebels.

No comments:

Post a Comment